- Impurifying Thaksin: The Politics of Elite Desecularization Thailand. (Presented at the Council of Thai Studies 2020; won best undergraduate paper award)
- What’s in a Thai cabinet? (Thai Data Points, December 2020)
I am currently researching Palang Pracharath’s performance in the 2019 Thai general election with Professor Allen Hicken.
I regularly contribute to the Thai Enquirer, where I focus on political analysis and commentary. I’ve written articles both on regional issues and on domestic Thai politics. You can find all of my articles for the Thai Enquirer here.
Here were some of my favorite pieces to write.
The War on Salim (September 8th, 2020)
Reforming Thailand’s history curriculum (July 17th, 2020)
Time to listen to Thailand beyond Twitter (June 25th, 2020)
The Utopian Coup (May 22nd, 2020)
In times of crisis, scrutiny becomes duty (March 27th, 2020)
Thai conservatives should embrace democracy (January 18th, 2020)
I have also written for the Bangkok Post, Thailand’s largest English language newspaper which remains in print nationwide.
Building broad support for constitutional reform (October 22nd, 2019)
Democratic system more than just popular vote (March 30th, 2019)
What’s next for the Democrat Party? (November 17th, 2018)
Fostering norms to sustain Thailand’s democracy (June 6th, 2018)
In 2019, I spent two months as a reporting intern for the Bangkok Post’s Asia Focus section, which covered Asian politics, the economy and culture every Monday.
Some pieces that I particularly enjoyed working on:
Building a startup silk road (September 9th, 2019)
Sinking cities (September 2nd, 2019) with Phanawat Ayanaputra
US-China relations beyond 2020 (August 5th, 2019)
Chinese students in the US fear for future amid trade war (July 1st, 2019)
Other published work
- openDemocracy: Thailand’s first elections since military coup loosen junta’s grip on power (June 12th, 2019)
- Asia Times: The future Thailand’s junta fears the most (March 11th, 2019)
- Realist Review: Hierarchy Is What States Make Of It (April 26th, 2019)
- International Policy Digest: Thailand’s Uneasy Anniversary (May 25th, 2018)
- The Big Chilli: What Trump’s Triumph Means (December 15th, 2016)
In addition to writing, I’ve also done some talks, podcasts and interviews.
- Australian Financial Review (March 13, 2021): Thailand’s king, government quieten protestors — for now
- Australian Financial Review (October 23, 2020): Thailand crisis: ‘I don’t know what will happen next‘
- Bloomberg (August 21, 2020): Thailand’s Protestors Stray Into Taboo Territory
- I was interviewed by Choose Change in October 2020. See the interview here: Part 1, Part 2.
- I was on the globeChang(e) podcast in December 2018 to talk about Berkeley, student government, writing and politics.
- On BBC Radio, I was interviewed about the Bangkok bombings at Erawan Shrine in August 2015.